Saturday, March 1, 2008

Life in the Womb is More Than a Blob




Life in the womb is more than a blob.


We know this is true from a practical standpoint.

Nobody ever says, "Oh, Honey, my blob of tissue is having spasms!"

We say, "Oh, Honey, the baby is kicking!"

I will prove that life in the womb is more than just a blob of tissue from the scientific perspective at a later date, but today, let's look at the Bible. Does God ever talk about the unborn and what is going on in the womb? You bet He does.

You remember Job? He had all the troubles.
He lost his property - it was a lot. He lost most of his servants - there were many. He lost all of his children in the same day - ten of them. Later on, his health was attacked and he was suffering greatly. Through it all, he loved God with all his heart, but still, he had questions. He was having a pity party while he was talking to God. This is what he said...

"Your hands shaped me and made me.
Will you now turn and destroy me?

Remember that you molded me like clay.
Will you now turn me to dust again?

Did you not pour me out like milk and curdle me like cheese,

clothe me with skin and flesh and knit me together with bones and sinews?

You gave me life and showed me kindness,
and in your providence watched over my spirit..."

..."Why then did you bring me out of the womb?
I wish I had died before any eye saw me."
Job 10:8-12,18

So God's hands were shaping Job, molding him. The image of milk curdling is a picture of substance formed where there was none. The picture of God clothing Job with flesh and knitting him together is the example of the gentle care of a loving creator. Notice that, in his self-pity, Job wishes he would have died before he was born. You can't die if you're not alive, so Job was alive while he was in the womb.

----------------

Now we turn to David. You know, he killed Goliath when he was a boy. He became King of Israel. He was also a poet - and a darned good one. Here he is contemplating how much God knows about him...

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.

My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,

your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139:13-16


So, David understood that God knew him intimately before he was born. David was not a scientist, but he knew that what happens in the womb is amazing. He recognized that God had a plan for him while he was not yet formed!

----------------

And then there was Jeremiah. He was a prophet. This is what God said to him...

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations." Jeremiah 1:5
So, God knew Jeremiah, even before he was formed. And he was set apart as a prophet while still in the womb.

----------------

Don't be fooled. God is an active participant in the development of life. He carefully molds each person and He has a plan for each child. What goes on in the womb of a pregnant woman is incredible. It's anything but a blob of tissue, even in the earliest stages.

Blessings to you,
Mamita J

No comments: