Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Epic Fail

Just so you know... my feet are made of clay.

I have all kinds of great wisdom. Sometimes that wisdom flies out the window.

We had a family implosion last night. All four of us (the parents and the daughters) had had a high stress day. All four on edge. It started right after dinner and quickly escalated into a full-blown verbal melee. It was awful. We all sinned against each other.

Sigh.

Which brings me to a teaching point. :-)

Naming your sin and asking for forgiveness is incredibly restoring.

I ask my kids, "What did you do wrong?" They will try to say ,"She did ...", but I keep interrupting until they can say what they did wrong.

Of course, I have to ask myself the same question.

In a perfect world, we would go to the person we sinned against and ask forgiveness for the named crime. (I guess if it were a perfect world, there would be no crime.) As it stands, some family members have apologized to some family members and received forgiveness.

We're still untangling our feet from the wreckage, but Steve and I have spent a while trying to figure out where we both went wrong.

It is good to reflect on mistakes and strategize for the future. It's good to say, "I'm sorry." and have relationships restored.

This builds resilience in our children and it's good for us, too.

Blessings to you,
Mamita

No comments: