Thursday, December 10, 2009

Comic Relief

Today was a bit rough. Cupcake had a couple of meltdowns. They can be pretty physical.

So, tonight, we're getting ready to eat dinner. All the big kids, plus one dinner guest, are already at the table.

Cupcake ran downstairs in a very disregulated state. It was clearly not safe to leave her downstairs alone, where she might destroy any number of things or get hurt. So, I went down and tried to calmly get her to come up on her own. After trying all my tricks, I finally picked her up and took her up the stairs and brought her to her own room, where she is safe to vent. Cupcake kicked and screamed the whole way.

Exhausted, I sit down to dinner. I'm breathing hard and am obviously troubled. Sugar asks if I'm okay. I sigh, "No. I feel like a just wrestled a 50 pound alligator up the stairs."

TE turns to me and, in his most crotchety grandfather voice, says, "When I was young, I used to wrestle alligators uphill both ways."

A little comic relief is just what I needed. I still cannot stop laughing.

I'm so thankful my big kids can roll with the punches and that we can laugh even when things are difficult.

Blessings to you,
Mamita

2 comments:

Dawn said...

:) Thank heavens for children that can laugh us through life, huh?

Goodness and Mercy Mom said...

Dear Julie,

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit my blog and for your sweet words of encouragement. You're family is beautiful. I'm so glad to hear that your daughter finally made it home after two years. It gives me hope.

LOL about the fireworks. I was there last week for "The Day of the Devil"--lots of fireworks and smoke (apparently they burn things to get rid of evil spirits).

May you and your sweet family have a wonderful Christmas!

Blessings,
Kathie