Thursday, December 31, 2009

Bright Spots

I don't want you to think everything before Christmas was glum and depressing.

Each of my daughter's gave me a cherished gift...things I will treasure in my heart for the rest of my life.

---------------------------------------------------

One day, Sugar came home from school super-excited. She had discovered a classmate's father and his rare talent and she had plans to surprise me with a special Christmas gift. She is a master at suspense. :-) Every morning she would remind me that today might be the day that her gift was delivered and she might be carrying it home from school, so I was not to watch or peek anywhere near her backpack.

One night after dinner, I found a beautifully wrapped package sitting at the table. She wanted me to open it early.

Inside, on a bed of curly ribbon, I found chocolates (Dove) and homemade caramels! She knows I love caramel, but rarely buy it, and, of course, chocolate. Need I say more?

She is the sweetest, most thoughtful girl. (I wish I had taken a picture, but it's too late now. The evidence is gone.) ;-)

------------------------------------------------

Then, a few days later, Cupcake came home from school, grinning ear to ear, with a package wrapped in tissue paper. She insisted I open it immediately.

They had made "gingerbread houses" at school. They used a milk carton, covered it with paper, painted it blue, and added frosting, candies, and cottonball snow. Isn't that cute?



Now here's the kicker.

Cupcake said, "Mommy, some of the kids ate their candy while they were putting their houses together, but I saved all of my candy for you. I wanted you to have it."

Understand this...Cupcake's love language is candy. She has an unhealthy desire for the sweet stuff. Not your typical sweet tooth. She can spot a candy jar in any home or office within 2 minutes of arriving. She begs and schemes and sneaks and manipulates for candy. Candy is an obsession with her.

So when she delayed her own gratification to please me, it spoke volumes.

First of all, she loves me! She wanted to give me candy. Her candy.

Second, she didn't do the impulsive thing! She actually made a conscious decision to put my interests in front of her own.

Thirdly, she is artistic! This house is well done. The concentration and focus that it must have taken to complete this amazes me.

What a special treat from my youngest daughter!

---------------------------------------------

I love my girls!

Blessings to you,
Mamita

1 comment:

Laurie said...

How Precious!! You are truly blessed with beautiful girls, inside and out!! Love it!!