Thursday, January 3, 2008

Reliving the Past

A few Christmases ago, our 8mm camcorder broke. We've been using new video technology since then. So the old tapes have been gathering dust...long forgotten memories stuck in a drawer. Until this week. We had borrowed my mom's 8mm camcorder, so we could transfer the videos to DVD before it was too late. It was too late... Her machine was broken too.

Okay, PLAN B. S found an 8mm video player at work and was allowed to borrow it. We have been watching old memories these last few days. TE, who never talks, was a motormouth. He kissed his sister and was very protective of her. Now she is just a pain in the neck to him. Sunshine was the most adorable toddler! He spent hours holding his baby sister. And at the age of 3, was already looking through the Lego catalog and asking for the (Star Wars) Sith Infiltrator. We have been rolling on the floor, busting a gut. Then, little Sugar, as a baby WOULD NOT COOPERATE with the video camera. Every sequence would start with my voice, saying, "Now Sugar is going to smile for you, she's been smiling all day." Deadpan. "Gitchie, gitchie, goo! Come on Sugar, smile for the camera..." Nothing. Next video..."Sugar learned to laugh today. Daddy's got her giggling." Nothing. Dead serious. Next video. "Sugar is rolling over. C'mon Sugar, show us what you can do." She looks at the camera like she has no idea what I'm talking about. Every single milestone is recorded in history by my voice explaining that she really did do that on so-and-so day. What a hoot!

I am so thankful that we have these memories recorded. I had forgotten so much of the fun we've had these last 15 years, since we had kids. If I can ever figure out how to put them on here, I will share some of my favorite moments. For now, I just have a warm fuzzy heart.

Bless you all tonight.
Mamita J

1 comment:

Lori said...

That is really cool!

For some reason, I feel like I met you in Guatemala last year?! My husband and I were in Guat. in Feb. and I was there in Jan. You look familiar to me!