Sunday, June 20, 2010

Reflections on Father's Day

I have been blessed to have 3 men in my life who are/were incredible fathers.



The first was my father. I was just 12 when he died. It was too soon and I needed him. He was my rock, and he was wise. He showed me how to work hard and to have fun. He taught me to respect authority. He showed me how to take care of animals, how to wash tractors, how to shuck corn, and how to set off firecrackers. He showed me how to hold a BB gun so I could shoot a can off a log. He took our family camping and canoeing. He taught me to be honest and to keep my mind away from filth. He praised my exotic mud pies and pretended to eat them. Even though he was gone for my adolescent years, I never forgot that I was his girl and I wanted to honor his name. I am thankful that I had him for the short time that I did.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




The second man is my father-in-law. When I met Steve, it took less than a week for me to realize that he was the one for me. I was sure that he was an honorable man to marry, but when I met his dad, that sealed the deal for me. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, you know. ;-) Jack is everything you could want in a dad. He is gentle and kind, faithful and trustworthy. He thinks the best of others and always has a smile. He is a wonderful grandfather, not only to his own grandkids, but to all of their friends who hang around. He makes every kid feel special. I have friends who seriously have grandparent envy because of this man and his lovely wife.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




Third and most important is Steve. The love of my life. I can't believe I landed such a catch. Let's just say, "I married up.". He turned out to be a great guy, just like his dad. He is the best husband I could ever want. He bears with me on the bad days, always faithful. He lifts me up when I'm down. He gently pushes me when I need a good, swift kick in the pants. ;-) He puts up with my blogging obsession. He is the best father to our kids. He makes me laugh. He does the dishes. He rubs my feet. Most of all, he loves the Lord and leads our family in paths of righteousness.

I have been especially blessed to have these three men in my life.

What men have you been blessed to know?

Blessings to you,
Mamita


3 comments:

SLB said...

You are lucky indeed, men in my Life! well my Dad,Ronald and my only Son, Francis. If you will allow, add Steve to that, a very good friend with a very understanding wife...How lucky can i get.. Happy Father's DAy to Steve..

Goodness and Mercy Mom said...

I'm so sorry you lost your dad at such a young age. (I lost my mom when I was 34 and can't imagine losing a parent as a child.) What a blessing that his love and his legacy lives on with you and your family. What a gift that God later blessed you with your husband and dear father-in-law. God is good to turn our mourning into joy.

Much Love,
Kathie

Kim said...

WOW girl - you have been blessed!!! I really can't say that I've known a good, caring, loving or honorable man until my marrying my Larry. No man has ever come close to even caring for me as he does/has. You are so good to honor your father the way you have...I know he would be proud of you Mamita J!!! Love ya girl!