Monday, June 29, 2009

Scout Camp

Last week, the boys survived the brutal heat at Summer Camp. It was the hottest week of the year. Every year, they get a patch that says "I survived the Freeze-Out" for camping in freezing weather. I think they should get an "I survived the Bake-Off" patch for Summer Camp this year.

Thursday is "Parent Night", where some of the parents come down, bring food and watch the "Order of the Arrow Call Out Ceremony". I debated about whether or not to go. The boys have been going for several years now, so homesickness is not an issue. I really wanted to go, but Daddy had a late meeting that day, so it would just be the girls and me. It's about an hour and a half drive and then a pretty good hike through the woods to get to the campsite. I was really missing the boys, but the thought of trudging through the woods at night with a weak ankle and two sweaty girls was more than I could handle. So, instead, I baked some chocolate chip cookies and sent them with a friend that was going.

As I was leaving the house to deliver the cookies, TE called to ask if I was coming....

"No (sigh). Do I need to?"

"Well, I forgot my Order of the Arrow sash and my uniform socks."

"No problem. I'll send them with my friend."

"It's good you're not bringing the girls. It's too hot."



Well then, I made the right decision. Yessiree.


Did TE happen to mention that his BROTHER was a candidate for Order of the Arrow?

Noooooo, he didn't.

For those of you unfamiliar with Scouting, Order of the Arrow is a service organization within Scouting. The boys are elected by their troop. There are a limited number of spots available each year. Those that are chosen should be servant leaders.

That is Sunshine to a "T". Of all my kids, he is the tender-hearted servant.

So, when they got home Saturday, the first thing Daddy noticed is the Order of the Arrow thing around Sunshine's neck.

Sunshine got Order of the Arrow!

I spent Saturday afternoon kicking myself for not going down on Parent's Night. I would not have missed that FOR THE WORLD. I could just cry. I am so proud of my son. If only I could have a do-over. At least I sent them fresh baked cookies to celebrate with. :-)

In other news, TE made the rank of Life Scout this week! That means he is now working on becoming an Eagle Scout. We have 9 months to get a lot of work done. I'm sure I'll talk about that more in another post.

I am so proud of my boys. They bring honor to our family name.

Blessings to you,
Mamita

No comments: