Friday, July 4, 2008

Independence Day


One year ago today, we sat on pins and needles...praying...waiting...hoping.

Cupcake was in court in Guatemala City. This was her second court date. The judge would determine if she was adoptable or not. About 2:00, we finally jumped into the pool at Grandpa and Grandma's house...hoping to pass the time having fun with the kids. I had been in the pool about 5 minutes when my cell phone rang. I launched out of the pool, dripping wet.

It was our agency. Our Guatemalan facilitator had called to let us know that court went very smoothly. The judge ruled that Cupcake was, indeed, an orphan. There was not a single person in Guatemala that would be willing to care for her as a daughter. We were her only hope. All ties with her birth family were, at that point, severed.

What a mix of emotions! We were overjoyed that her abandonment went through. We could now proceed with the adoption! :-D On the other hand, she was alone. :-( Truly alone in this world. An orphan. No family.

I remember sitting in the lawn chair, watching fireworks. My heart swelled with hope. For the first time in a long time, I was able to imagine watching fireworks with Cupcake on my lap.

So here we are. It's the 4th of July. And we'll be going to the fireworks tonight. :-) No longer dreaming and hoping, but living the reality. :-D

God answers prayer. He sets the lonely in families. He is close to the broken-hearted. He cares for orphans. He blesses His servants. May His name be praised.

Blessings to you,
Mamita

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Oh my goodness I remember that week like it was yesterday. You completely on pins and needles and trying to justify why you weren't hearing anything :) and then that note. Oh my...the joy and the tears! And even that picture.

What a difference one year makes. :)

Love you girl. Give my Cupcake kisses for me!

d:)